What do we want? CHEESE! When do we want it? NOW! What did I promise? SINFULLY DELICIOUS INDULGENCE! Yes, and what could be more indulgent than the carb god itself: mac ‘n cheese… So, let me just clarify something – baked macaroni and cheese was the be all and end all in my house. “Mom, I’m sick, please make mac ‘n cheese.” “Mom, it’s my birthday, please make mac ‘n cheese.” “Mom, I feel like eating something amazing, please make mac ‘n cheese.” And mom, as you sit here reading this, your mac ‘n cheese recipe will always be number one BUT I played with it just a little and I think you’ll find this version to be a close second.
This recipe is quite rich so it isn’t a massive amount, but it will feed about 4 people.
- x1 pack streaky bacon, fried until crispy (why cook it any other way?)
- x1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- x1 punnet brown mushrooms
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2-3 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- x1 block blue cheese (use as much or as little as you like)
- x1 egg, room temp and lightly beaten
- x1.5 cups cooked pasta
- x1-2 cup bread crumbs (depending on the size of the dish you bake in)
- x2-3 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped
- After you have fried up the bacon, remove it from the pan and saute the onion in the fat left in the pan. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms release their moisture.
- Cut up the crispy bacon and add back to the pan.
- Add the flour and stir so that it coats everything in the pan and cook for a minute or so to remove the floury taste.
- Pour in the milk, a cup at a time while stirring, until it is properly incorporated. Use less milk to begin with and if it reduces too much then add some more.
- Season to taste. Taste the mix before you salt it! The bacon makes it very salty. This mix needs only a pinch or so of salt but a whole load of pepper to balance it out.
- Stir in the cheddar and then the blue cheese – add as much or as little as you like – depending on how much you like the taste of penicillin =] in my case: that whole block gets sacrificed.
- Once the cheese has melted, remove the pan from the heat and allow it too cool for a few minutes. Stir in the cooked pasta.
- Once it is cool, stir in the egg and pour into the baking dish.
- Stir basil and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the mac ‘n cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes in an 180C oven or until the top is golden brown
- With a fork in your hand, place baking tray in front of you and laugh because they thought it was for them as well….just kidding…=]
This dish is funky! And I’m talking is that a hobo’s sock or is it a delicious wedge of cheese funky, like you are going to have psychedelic cheese dreams after this one! But on top of that it is creamy, cheesey and bacony..what else do you want?
A glass of wine? Okay, that’s a given.